Journal I : Expedition to Glacier Bay, Alaska, Summer 1890

September 10th

Wednesday. Another fine day. The last three nights there has been scarcely any wind, and in the morning the flag hangs limp; but late in the day, by nine o'cl. the glacier wind makes it stream out to the south. The self-recording thermom. shows an almost straight slowly falling line for the night temperature for these three nights while the day temp. is a jagged line ranging 8 or 10 degrees within an hour. The night lines have usually been like the day lines.

I went up to the glacier today alone and made a few photos of the ice ridges. I also made some observations on temp. of water in streams on ice in front of Dirt glcier, at end of White glacier. They ran from 0 degrees to 0.1 C.

I returned in time to make my midday magnetic observations. While in the magnetic tent about 2 pm, Adams called that there was a letter for me. I came out and found that a Siwash had come in his canoe, of course with his wife, and brought me two letters, one from Mr. Cushing written at Bartlett's Bay and the second from Mr. Johnston there. It appears that Mr. Johnston cannot send the steamer "Chinook" for us, but promised to send a large canoe to take us and our traps. Mr. Cushing in his letter seems anxious about our getting away, and gave us directions about coming down the coast. There would be no difficulty in our working down to Bartlett's Bay or even further, but we could not take our baggage; and we could not leave that.

The distance to Bartlett's Bay is about 35 miles, and the Siwash was to receive $5 for bringing me the letter. This I gave him. I also sent a letter by him to Mr. Johnston telling him to send a large canoe. We immediately set to work packing. I had intended to go across the inlet this afternoon, but of course gave that up. The weather continues fine. Fairweather is very clear. The sunset tonight was beautiful, and afterwards there was quite a good amoral display.

No comments:

Post a Comment