Journal I : Expedition to Glacier Bay, Alaska, Summer 1890

September 9th

Tuesday. Magnetic observ. for declin. again today. After breakfast McBride Adams and I went to E to make a cairn. The weather was beautiful; we went without any packs to carry and it was delightful. We made a first-rate cairn about 8 feet across and 4 1/2 ft. high with the flag in its old the middle in its old position. I think it will last for several years. I made took a few compass bearings and then came home as fast as possible for my magnetic work. McBride and Adams left to go up to one of the White Glacier moraines after some specimens of [MS illegible].

In the afternoon I took some photographs about camp and made some satisfactory observations for Agimuth. The weather continues fine and is not cold except at night. Slight amoral display tonight. I think we should see such slight displays almost every night if we watched for them, but we usually go in doors by dark, about 8 o'c.

No comments:

Post a Comment